1. Brown, Royal S. "Hitchcock, Herrmann and the Music of the Irrational." Cinema Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2 (1982).
2. Brown, Royal S. "North by Northwest by Hitchcock by Herrmann." Fanfare, Vol. 3, No. 6 (July '82).
3. Bruce, Graham. Bernard Herrmann: Film Music and Narrative. (Ann Arbor: UMI, 1985.)
4. Johnson, Laurie and Palmer, Christopher. Liner notes from North by Northwest soundtrack recording. (Varese Sarabade, VCD 47205.)
5. Katz, Ephraim. The Film Encyclopedia. (NY: Putnam, 1979.)
6. Kennedy, Michael. The Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music. (Oxford: Oxford, 1980.)
7. Smith, Steven C. A Fire at Heart's Center. (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.)
8. Prendergast, Roy M. Film Music: A Neglected Art. (NY: Norton, 1977.)
I am greatly indebted to the following individuals for their assistance:
Kate Kalinak, professor of Film Theory at Rhode Island College, for her support.
Warren Sherk, composer and music archivist at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, for additional research involving dubbing and spotting notes.
Steven Smith, author of the Bernard Herrmann biography A Fire at Heart's Center, for biographical information as well as his editing skills.
Christopher Husted, music archivist at University of California Santa Barbara, for allowing me to peruse the score at length.